Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Berenger-tight back lining,leather prep and covering


Any of you out there that have questions about how to make a tight-back binding in the flexible style, should really get hold of a copy of Arthur Johnson`s Thames Hudson manual on bookbinding.He gives an itemised breakdown of procedures and the diagrams are easy to understand.
....following on, having had the boards attached and headbands sewn, the spine is to be lined.
My first lining will be of Fray-knot, which moulds nicely to shape of the cords.When it is set, the second lining I use is of an archival British kraft paper(2, or 1, depending on the shape of the spine).
I sand off the paper when dry to reveal inconsistencies, and when thats done its trimmed at the head and tail.
A third lining of goatskin is layed on,the bands sharpened-up, and when dry it is again sanded until smooth.
After all this is complete we`re ready for covering.
I decided to instead of doing what we all do too much of(that is brown and tan calf bindings with sprinkles!and of course the obligatory red labels!)to do something a bit different.For whatever reason, i was thinking a rich deep red or burgundy.Time to whip out the Hewitts dyes and have some fun!
I give myself a head-start by selecting a light plum coloured hewitts calf skin, and get both covers out of the one skin.
I prepare the dye by boiling water, and mixing a little in containers(red and black-I always use black to take the edge off any colour).I dilute with a little cold, then I set about trying to change a rather ordinary cover, into hopefully something with a bit more character!
I unfortunately do not cultivate my own medievil garden, (sorry purists!), so those of you who don`t even have a window box will find the hewitts dye to work well enough.
Covering is next, and I regret that I do not have another set of hands to document the procedure....back-cornering,working in the spine,turning the head-cap in on itself,cornering,setting the joint,etc..etc...etc..

No comments: