Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Box challenge - La Peste



".....we have indeed drifted into the arena of the unwell...."

...no, not Camus, but Paul Mcgann in Withnail and I, just as existential an experience. Peppered with memorable lines such as... never mix your drinks... I want the finest wines available to humanity... I want something's flesh.... I mean to have you even if it's burglary....  it can utilise up to twelve skins.....a coward you are Withnail, an expert on bulls you are not.........

Onlays, stamped with  22 carat leaf...
Interestingly, Camus has inscribed the edition with as best as I can make out with my bad French......

"...to someone who also shares an interest in the plague of the soul"

Withnail's Hamlet is worth sticking to the end for.....

 "what a piece of work is man.....yet to me , what is this quintessence of dust.Man delights not me, no,
   nor women neither..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another fine creation!
Did you enjoy Rhodes?As for the bookbinding scene around here I'll be honest-it's terrible...There is no school to study bookbinding,there are a lot of self claimed binders with little to no knowledge on the subject(and no care for it at all) that are closing one after the other due to the financial crisis.Plus the old ones are unwilling to teach or share...Last but not least the public doesnt hasn't got the slightest idea about what we do which causes a lot of problems...I could go one forever,sigh!

Paper dragon books said...

that is often the case where there is no national program....if you are in athens there must be group of you...organise....many binding houses are have closed here, whats left of them and in england.....even the full time program i attended at LCP has been almalgamated into a book arts degree program....chin up, plenty of content online though, perhaps a better recent development...